Friday, May 9, 2008

One Malaysian for Harvard University??

OUTSTANDING STUDENT FAILS TO OBTAIN LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS BUT OBTAINS OFFERS OF PRESTIGIOUS OVERSEAS SCHOLARSHIPS.


Lee Jia Hui (pic), 19 scored 11 1A’s in the SPM examination. The Sunday Star, April 20, reported that he had for the last six months applied for scholarship to pursue his studies oversea from various local agencies such as Public Services Department and Bank Negara. He was unsuccessful.

Interestingly and luckily, he has now obtained offers of scholarships from renowned institution such as Harvard University, Princeton, Darthmoth, Cornell, as well as Wesleyan Asian Freeman Scholarship. Imagine prestigious and renowned foreign institutions are falling over to offer scholarships and yet at home he is unable to obtain a scholarship.

Wow, I'm wondering what's my feeling or expression if I've been offered a full scholarship to pursue in Harvard University.


Perhaps excited as him(pic)?? haha.

And for you guys information, he is the only Malaysian offered to further his tertiary education in Harvard University for the year 2008.







P/S: Jia Hui didn't made up his mind which choice he opt for when i read the articles about him, somehow he was given a deadline, 1st of May, so if anyone knew what decision he made do tell me ya.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u might interested in reading this too, by Jia Hui himself
it was from Education Malaysia.


Jia Hui said...
Hey everyone - I'm just going to put in my two sen's worth of thoughts:

1. Harvard's interview was 45 minutes, and we talked about Malaysian politics, education, race relations; they asked where I stand on some issues, what I'm interested in, and where I see myself heading. JPA's interview (I wasn't even selected for BNM's) was about "Tabiat Membaca di Kalangan Remaja" for 20 minutes. 7 people had to talk about the topic after a 2 minute self-introduction. There was no opportunity to talk beyond those limits, even if I was dying to express my views on sexuality.

2. If education is about creating and satisfying the job market, JPA and BNM are right in not supporting my educational interests. I'll make a horrible Accountant. I can go on about the importance of "unimportant majors/concentrations" but not here. Malaysia, though, lack proper public policy researchers and think thanks: you don't need to look far for the consequences.

3. It's not an issue of race. It's an issue of equal opportunity ("Education for All" as outlined by UNESCO). If people are denied the equal access to educational opportunity based on their status in the constitution, there's something thorougly wrong. I have friends scoring 7 1As in the SPM who went on to pursue a dental degree under JPA sponsorship. Another friend with 12 As is now working so that he can pay for his diploma studies. Does a 20 minute interview on BM Karangan topics make that difference?

4. ISKL was a culture shock in the first three months, US or no US system/mentality when I first enrolled as a scholar. But that's not the point: Being mature, open-minded, and critical about discourse on any issue (in and out of interviews)shouldn't be hampered by claims that it is "not our budaya". What shouldn't be our "budaya" is the refusal for open discussion just because it goes against your personal prejudice, providing unequal access to education (and this isn't just in terms of race), and having our education marred by a commitment to "saying the right things to the right person".

:) I'm open to debate. Oh and Bush came from Yale - it's no basis for discrediting the school, but I didn't apply there because of my dislike for the man.